Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Council like you


The Everyman appeal is a long tradition in politics with candidates telling you to vote for them because "I'm a family man" or "I'm a God fearing man" or, around Grand Forks, "I'm a working man who's feeling the pain of property taxes."

In other words, "vote for me because I'm like you."

The people you see above are what happens when you take this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion. They're what you might get if the demographic make up of the council were just like the make up of the city's population of eligible voters.

This "fantasy council" is part of a story in today's Herald about the diversity (or lack thereof) on the real council. It was inspired by my conversations with Ward 2 council candidates Jon Dorner and Mike McNamara, both of whom made their common man background a part of their appeal to voters.

To come up with the fantasy council, I did some research on the Census Web site, broke the data into different population segments and figured out how much of the council they could get. The bigger the segment, the more council members. What I came up was the composite council you see above. To see my work, click here. Mac has done something similar, though he breaks it down differently.

I'm usually skeptical of the idea that somebody's race or sex has anything to do with their qualification for a job. But Mac's and Dorner's ideas made me take a fresh look at the council.

Frankly, like Pygmalion, I like the look of my creation a lot more than the real thing, especially that councilwoman on the far left. But seriously...

The fact is, aside from political philosophy and personality, the council is remarkably homogenous: Mostly male, all older and all white-collar.

For the most part, that's fine by me because nobody forced voters to pick these guys and they're doing a decent enough job that none of the candidates are complaining about them.

There have been a few times, though, that made me wonder if the rhetoric on the council might not be a little different if some of them were more like, say, people like me. For example, the laser-like focus on keeping homeowners happy drive me up the wall at times. I happen to be a renter. I don't pay property taxes myself, but my landlord does and he does it, in part, with my rent money. I also pay sales taxes on every purchase and sales taxes keep property taxes down. So renters like me are making just as much a contribution to this city as homeowners. But when the city upgraded its recycling service so there's no more sorting, it's the homeowners that got the upgraded service. Three years on and us renters are still waiting. I have to wonder, if there were a renter on the council, wouldn't he or she have noticed?

(I guess I could complain to my council member, but he's one of my sources, so I don't. This isn't a complaint either. I just take my recyclables down to Hugo's rather than trying to sort them out.)

The next question that needs some answering is, why don't more "people like me" run for council? I'm sure many women would like to see more women elected officials, but not many women are running so they'll never get that choice. Same with renters. The Census says 49 percent of households in Grand Forks rent but the only renter running is maybe Peder Rice (I didn't ask him but he's a student, so I'm making an assumption). Another question is, would more types of people be able to run if the council increased its pay, something it has considered in the past? The cause-and-effect on that one is debatable, but it hasn't been debated yet.

17 Comments:

Blogger GrandForksGuy said...

Great work, Tu-Uyen. It would be nice if the council makeup better matched the demographics of our city, but on the whole I think our council does a pretty good job even if it is rather homogenous. I usually feel that they do a pretty decent job of representing most sectors of the community (Glassheim seems to stick up for the less fortunate among us, Gershman champions small-business people, etc). The one sector that doesn't get too much representation on the council is students. However, it seem to me like some people still think of John Hoff when they think of a student on the council and that turns them off to that notion. I must say that I'm surprised that more women, students, etc. don't run for local office. We can't vote for them if they don't run. So, until they run I don't think we can do too much complaining about our council's makeup.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't quote me on this (not just because quoting "Anonymous" just wouldn't sound right) but I believe McNamara rents as well.

Before anyone gets excited about the rental situation in his Ward, his family renting would be allowed by the new change in zoning I think.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome work! I do think the city council should have someone from the UND student body as a member. Someone that UND votes in every two years... it would give a better representation.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I also pay sales taxes on every purchase and sales taxes keep property taxes down. So renters like me are making just as much a contribution to this city as homeowners."

Property tax + sales tax = sales tax? Interesting math.

Besides, why shouldn't people be incentivized to become homeowners? I'll bet the statistics show that homeowners stay in one locale longer than renters (thereby putting more money into that local system). Here's my 20 seconds of Googling with some proof: http://www.census.gov/population/
www/documentation/twps0069/twps0069.html

Note: I was a renter for 15 years before I bought my first house, which so happened to be my first residence in Grand Forks (after living in 7 or so rental units/houses in several different states).

10:17 PM  
Blogger Peder Rice said...

I actually believe that the sales tax is used more to tax those outside of Grand Forks than it is designed to encourage home ownership within Grand Forks. Those pennies really add up on the weekends when Graftonites flood into the city and shop in our stores. As we drain them of what little capital remains in their communities, we effectively speed the rate of the decline of Anytown, North Dakota*.

Very little of the sales tax revenues end up in the rural areas surrounding Grand Forks, and a great deal end up going to property tax relief here in town. Now consider that typically the wealthiest inhabitants of a city are property owners and not renters, and it becomes clear that the city's sales tax is regressive. Many of those most in need of a tax break are left out of the picture. Also, don't forget that there exists a ceiling on the sales tax of an individual item, so the big spenders aren't even, as a percentage, equal contributors. So the wealthiest not only receive the largest percentage of these dollars, but they also contribute the least per dollar.

Our current tax system needs a great deal of reform, and we must look at the long-term implications of any action that is taken.

* Libertarians will note that rural America is supported by the Federal government, which is supported by urban areas, thereby completing a loop full of bureaucracy.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Tu-Uyen said...

Coffeeguy, three points:

1) As Peder Rice explained, a large portion of the sales taxes end up as property tax relief, which means the sales taxes pay for things that property taxes normally pay for. That means it's keeping your property taxes from getting any higher.

Break it down this way, for every $1 of sales tax collected, 28 cents goes to property tax relief, 17 cents goes to infrastructure (which keeps your special assessments down) and 12 cents goes to economic development (which is a kind of cookie jar for various city projects, from the arts to jobs incentives). The remaining 43 cents goes to the Alerus Center.

Notice that 28 plus 17 is 45 cents of every dollar going to reducing the property tax burden.

2) In financial contribution to this community, renters and homeowners are the same. Some renters might not stay long, but they're still vital members of the community such as UND faculty and Air Force personnel.

3) The way housing prices are around here, it ain't easy to buy a house. I'm sure you're also aware that the City Council has tried in vain to increase the number of affordable homes here. So are the people saving up money not really worth considering until they finally succeed in owning a house? Gimme a break!

Equality demands we treat all taxpayers the same. If I don't get a tax break, why should I get fewer services?

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. EXACTLY!! You are being encouraged to buy a house! Thanks for proving my point, everyone.

2. I didn't say you weren't a vital member of the community. I was saying that your math is wrong. Property tax + sales tax does not equal sales tax.

3. Grand Forks is practically giving away houses compared to most of the places I've lived. If people don't like their situation, they should ask themselves how they felt when the economy was booming under Clinton. God, this nations has gone into the economic toilet the last 6 years. (end of my rant)

You get fewer services because you are not a homeowner. I've been there. I know. They want you to buy a house and stay. You are worth more to the city that way.

One question: who pays for the schools, plowing of streets, etc. for the renters?

11:42 PM  
Blogger Tu-Uyen said...

Coffeeguy,

1) The point isn't whether we are being encouraged to buy houses or not, it's whether the city ought to do that.

2) I can't figure out where my math is confusing. I said that I pay property taxes just like everybody else by a) paying my rent and b) the sales tax, which keeps property taxes down.

3) You're dead wrong about houses being "given away." I'm not the first to notice that home prices are accelerating way ahead of wages.

And to answer your question: who pays for schools and plowing for the renters? Us renters! I keep telling you our landlords pay property taxes using the rent money we give them! In other words, my money ultimately goes into city coffers. Last I checked, my money's as good as any homeowners'.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To say that you pay property taxes is stretching it. You pay rent. Perhaps your landlord has built some taxes into your monthly rent, but he is the one paying the tax, ergo, he gets (most of) the services.

That's like me saying that, because I buy a copy of the GF Herald, I pay your wages. I don't! It's built into the price, yes, but I am not paying you. I don't hand you your paycheck just as you don't hand the town property taxes. If you disagree, then how many hands must the money go through before it is cleared of the direct connection? It's all part of living in a capitalist society, the exchange of money, blah blah blah.

By the way, I said "Grand Forks is practically giving away houses compared to most of the places I've lived." This is 100% true.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, before I have more words put into my mouth, I never said that landlords receiving more services is good or fair. It's just fact.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Tu-Uyen said...

So you're saying sales tax doesn't count either? The stores pay the sales tax. You and I just give it to the stores.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stores do not typically pay sales tax. Thye have a resellers permit which allows them to sell items without paying tax to obtain the items. Stores are required by law to collect sales tax on purchases made by us, the consumers. You and I are required, by law again, to pay said tax. I don't know about you, but I don't "just give it to the stores," I am required.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

Your work prompted me to take a look at the Census bureau's site today and actually (gasp) think about what the data mean to me. I was especially interested to learn how young our community is. The GF median age is 28; compared to the state's 36 and the nation's 35. Can that actually be right? Holy cow.

Someone, actually two someones, dismissed to the info by telling me that our numbers are "skewed" by the University. Duh! And the fact that some of our residents are affiliated with UND means they're not real people? Good grief.

...and good job!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Tu-Uyen said...

I'm going to stop fighting with my readers so this is the last I'm going to say about the property taxes.

The fact that there's some legal mechanism by which stores collect sales taxes and pass them on to the state and there's no explicit mechanism by which landlords collect rent and pass property taxes to the city is meaningless to the person doing the paying. In both cases we pay. I'm not getting a better deal out of this city than homeowners.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jeni.Ann said...

Coffeeguy, it's amazing that you would say Grand Forks is practically giving away houses compared to most of the places I've lived. I'm actually very curious as to where you have lived that housing was so much more drastically draining on one's salary. I have been working multiple jobs, one full-time and two part-time, for over six years now in an attempt to eventually be capable of affording a house in Grand Forks. And no, I'm not looking for a mansion, I'm looking for a two or three bedroom home that comes in at less than $175,000. I almost had enough money saved up to make a decent downpayment, and then the property taxes went up in this town. So, no home for me and my family now, we'll remain renters.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home