Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Monday, May 01, 2006

Pre-emptive strike on property taxes?

I'm kicking myself for not asking the question when I had the chance. Dakota Huseby is reporting that some council members, namely Doug Christensen, are considering passing a resolution promising a property tax rate cut as was done last year.

I was at a meeting of the various taxing entities last week where tax rate cuts were discussed. I could have posed the question then, I guess.

In my own defense, I did ask Mayor Mike Brown and Council member Curt Kreun why it was that the school district could promise a six mill cut but the city could not. Both said that the city simply hadn't reached that point in its budget planning yet.

I suppose I should have known that process oriented as these two are, they weren't going to get too far ahead of the plan. Ask another council member and I guess I would have gotten a different answer. Live and learn.

Update 9:40 p.m.: Looks like the council's ready to tell the mayor how much of a cut they want. Christensen said it'll be between two and seven mills. More details here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home