Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Quickies: Good-bye to Hamerlik and Kerian, update on historic debate

* Last night was the last council meeting for Grand Forks City Council members Gerald Hamerlik of Ward 2 and Dorette Kerian of Ward 6.

Good luck to both. I thought they both did a fine job and I enjoyed working with them.

Gerry used to call me up when I got the details wrong, which was cool because he was always nice about it. He'll also be missed on the Alerus Center commission. He was known for making the motion to file the financial data with "the appropriate city authorities" or something like that -- I'm sure he'll correct me if he reads this. It was called the "Gerry motion" in his honor.

Dorette was great with policy matters and, even though she didn't talk much, I always had the feeling she was almost as much a wonk as Council member Curt Kreun. She had a gentle way of correcting other council members' misconceptions that was completely unquotable. I really hated that. Dorette sat on the Planning and Zoning Commission, the home of the greatest collection of planning policy wonks in this town. Attend one of their meetings and find out why.

Gerry's and Dorette's replacements, Mike McNamara of Ward 2 and Art Bakken of Ward 6, will take over next week.

Well, that was going to be a "Quickie" but look how long it got!

The council always annoys the living wits out of me with those long debates over, like, $2, but I guess I like 'em anyway.

* In case you missed it, there were some explanations about the apparent red tape at the Historical Preservation Commission. So go ahead and destroy that priceless historical home you own. No one can stop you!

* I got a follow-up on that big fight between the City Council and the Water and Light Commission.

* Some updated numbers on that earlier post about the 2.5 mill-cut from the dike levies. Just read it. Don't make me explain it again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone need it, here is the definition of "Wonk."

wonk Audio pronunciation of wonk ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wngk)
n. Slang

1. A student who studies excessively; a grind.
2. One who studies an issue or a topic thoroughly or excessively: “leading a talkathon of policy wonks in a methodical effort to build consensus for his programs” (Michael Kranish).


(I don't want anyone to confuse it with Dumbass Bribe-taker)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home