Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The landfill is NOT in Manvel, N.D.

A friend from Manvel, N.D., thanked me today for not mentioning her town in my story today about the landfill.

The city of Grand Forks wants to put a landfill in Turtle River Township, which is about five miles northwest of Manvel. Since Manvel is the nearest town, I and others in the press frequently reference it in our reports.

Well, some townsfolks, like my friend, are just fed up with the association. Five miles, she said! It's not even five miles from one end of Grand Forks to the other!

Sorry, Manvelites -- or is that Manvellians? How was I to know? You all have got this great, big sign on the main street that says something like "Let's be remembered as the little town with a big heart not the town with the huge landfill." Manvel residents opened up their homes to flood refugees from Grand Forks back in 1997. The principal site for landfill opponents is even called www.NoLandfillInManvel.com.

My friend said many people she knows couldn't care less. But enough people must care plenty because she said she doesn't dare voice her opinion aloud. Don't print my name, she told me. "I don't want my house burnt down."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that this friend of yours doesn't want to be associated with the fine folks who live north of Manvel, just because her quality of life won't be as damaged as theirs will.

During this spring's flooding, many Manvel Fire Department volunteers and citizens of the area worked long and hard sandbagging to protect rural residents who were in serious danger of loosing property.

I don't know of anyone in Manvel city limits that was in danger of flooding, but the requests for assistance on television and radio asked for additional volunteers to help "Manvel". I wonder if your friend was bothered by that too.

By the way, "Thanks again!" to the volunteers from Grand Forks and elsewhere who answered our requests for help.

Some Grand Forks officials tried to make landfill opponents look like NIMBYs. I think your friend has taken the position that if it's not literally in her back yard, it's not her problem. To me, that is a NIMBY.

The great community of Manvel extends far beyond its border. The folks in Turtle River and Levant Townships are members of our churches, they are our friends, coworkers, and family. They help make Manvel the great place that it is Today.

I intend to celebrate with them when the reckless landfill proposal is officially dead. Please let your friend know that she will be welcomed.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home