Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Quickies: Election analysis, Mac

* The City Beat decided to indulge my love of numbers. So I did a story today analyzing the City Council election.

It was too weird. Dems voted en masse but rejected one of their own, Tom Potter. Mike McNamara looked like he had pretty good competition -- I mean four other guys who wanted the same seat -- but turned in a stunning victory. And the weirdest thing is how big a deal the property tax issue was in the council race even though the city gets a quarter of the tax revenues. The school board gets half but C.T. Marhula who wanted steep mill cuts lost his race for school board.

As usual, you can see my work by downloading this Excel spreadsheet.

Check out the voter turnout. The biggest turnout was in Ward 5, which didn't even have a council seat open. I always thought people were obsessed with city politics more than other political entities. Hmmm.

* One last fawning story about Mac, I promise. It's in the Sunday edition. Complain all you want. I don't care. It's a national story.

* I don't know if any of you care, but the U.S. tied Italy 1-1 at the FIFA World Cup today. Nice backdrop for the Grand Cities Soccer Tournament. People around here are always mocking the "beautiful game" because there's hardly any points scored. Uh, like that game hockey? I called the Park District once to see if they had any soccer leagues. Only for kids, they said. Ayayay.

I see Rick Abbott saw the game, too.

* Don't forget to be nice to dad on Father's Day. I got mine a book on dog obedience. He's nuts about Leo, his new dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home